Valves are one of the vital components of the pumping systems as well as the pipelines in different industries. The valves perform functions like stopping and starting flow, regulating the rate and direction of flow, preventing backflow, and regulating system pressure.
CHOOSING THE RIGHT VALVES :
As most valve manufacturers opine the types of valves used for a particular system are dependent on the specific application as well as on the functions that these valves fulfil in the systems. Hence when selecting a valve for a given application crucial factors must be taken into consideration as follows:
• The flow media – The nature of the fluid being pumped has a range of implications for the system and the type of valves appropriate.
• System pressure/temperature – The Valves along with the materials they are made of must be able to withstand and operate effectively under the extreme environments of the systems, including higher/lower temperature and pressures.
• Application/function – Depending on the requirements of the systems, the valves may be expected to fulfil various crucial functions.
• Cleaning/maintenance requirements – Easier maintenance or cleaning activities to be performed on the valves coupled with their intervals of performance.
• Integration with other system components – The choice of valves must include the other instrumentation components and overall system design also.
• Other application-specific criteria – The application intended may have other specific requirements to meet specific standards.
COMMONLY USED VALVE TYPES:
As pointed out by leading valve suppliers, the valves are basically classified either by the method of controlling they employ or the functions they perform in a given system. The methods of control include the linear motion or rotary motion. Also, these valves can be classified by their general functions.
• Gate valves: These valves operate via the use of a sliding part, or gate, that can be moved in or out of the path of the conveyed substance which is particularly useful for straight-line flows and when there is a need to isolate a particular area of a pipeline.
• Ball valves: These valves utilise a ball-like structure containing channels through which fluid may flow. In order to block the flow of fluid, the ball is rotated so that entry to the channels no longer matches up with the passage of the fluid.
• Plug valves: These valves make use of a rotating cylindrical or conically tapered plug containing passageways through which fluid may flow when the valve is open.
• Butterfly valves: These valves utilise a disk-shaped rotary closing mechanism positioned in the centre of the pipe by a rod passing through it.
• Globe valves: These valves are primarily used for modulating flow through a pipe system and basically consist of a moveable disk-shaped plug and a stationary ring seat.
COMMON ADDITIONAL VALVE CONSIDERATIONS BY INDUSTRY:
• Pipeline industries: The Valves that are often used in larger pipelines require to be pluggable i.e., when open, the valve bore must have a diameter that allows a pipeline pig to pass through to perform various maintenance, inspection and cleaning activities. Often the valves used here are ball valves.
• Food and beverage industries: These types of industries often have very strict hygiene standards to which they must adhere. This means that these valves which come into direct contact with food are required to meet very specific criteria such as not containing any rough surfaces, crevices or pores in which food materials and bacteria could accumulate.
• Wastewater/Water Treatment Plants: The main valves used in wastewater/water treatment applications usually need to conform with several criteria. The materials from which these valves are made is important for wastewater/water treatment applications, as the valve must be able to withstand any chemicals it may come into contact with.
• Chemicals and pharmaceuticals: Primarily valves used in the chemical and pharmaceutical industries must comply with strict safety standards dependent on the flow of media. The valves used in these industries are often required to provide very accurate flow control and prevent leakage of potentially hazardous materials.
These are just some of the many considerations one must take into account while specifying valves for a system. Fevisa being a leading valve stockist in Dubai, usually ensures that determining the right valves which are often complicated, to be a hassle-free correct valve choice for the clients. We at Fevisa ensure that, with our WRAS approved valves, an overall efficient, safe, compliant and effective operation of a pumping system is given to our clients based on their industrial requirements.
Further, our Europe origin valves are designed to follow the various industrial standards and customers’ requirements. Our team of designers & engineers can assist you into making the right choice of the kind of valve for your application. Fevisa is ever ready to help you out in the choice of ex-stock valves and stock valves.
Contact us to make the right choice of valve for you. We are here to help you.