When it comes to using butterfly valves, most of the leading butterfly valve supplier agree that the questions regarding leakage issues and how to deal with them is one of the most frequently asked questions by the plant staffs.
We as leading valve stockists know irritating it is to have an issue like this, mainly if the item was recently bought and you expected it to work perfectly.
Even a few millimeters of leaking can lead to huge losses. Also, it’s best to make sure to buy the valve from the leading industrial valve manufacturers.
Some of the most common and troublesome installation errors are avoided by proper pre-installation, identification, inspection and alignment of all the parts involved.
Proper Butterfly valve type
Butterfly valves such as concentric butterfly valves come in a variety of styles, including lug style, wafers, and double-flanged, as well as different materials. Some valves are designed to handle grit and sand, whereas others are designed to handle gasses.
- Inspect the valve to be certain the waterway is free from dirt and foreign matter. Be certain that the adjoining pipeline is free from any foreign material that could possibly damage the seat and disc sealing surfaces.
- Actuator should be mounted on the valve prior to installation to facilitate proper alignment of the disc in the valve seat.
- Check the valve identification tag for materials, and operating pressure to be sure they are correct for the application.
- Check the flange bolts or studs for proper size, threading, and length.
- Place the valve between the flanges and then install all bolts between the valve and the mating flanges.
- Hand tighten bolts as necessary.
- Before completing the tightening of any bolts, the valve should be centered between the flanges and then carefully opened and closed to insure free, unobstructed disc movement.
- Tighten the flange bolts evenly to assure uniform compression.
- Cycle the valve to the fully open position, then back to the fully closed position, checking the actuator travel stop settings for proper disc alignment.
- The valve should be operated to assure that no binding is taking place.
- The valve is now ready for operation.
COMMON BUTTERFLY VALVE LEAKAGE AND SOLUTION
- Butterfly valves or gate valves are often used as shutdown or flow control valves.
- In its closed state, it acts as a shutdown valve, blocking the flow of fluid and preventing leaks.
- In such a condition, it should not only tightly cover the pipe and rail to avoid inner leakages within the pipe network but also reduce fleeing leakages that escape from its valve to the outside.
Butterfly valves leak for a variety of causes. This could be one of the following options:
- The valve seat is dirty, or the valve stem and disk are rusty.
- The seat is scored.
- The seal has been broken.
- Inadequate actuator motion.
- Shut-off valves, which are used in various areas, provide for the safe operation of compressed gas in pneumatic systems.
- A shut-off valve, for instance, placed over a dead leg flow, lets any water flow out at that place so that repairs can be done.
- The primary cause of shut-off valve breakdowns (seizing) is aging internal parts such as rubber gaskets.
How to fix it:
- Plumbing line shutoff valves below toilets or even under basins can spend years without it being switched off and restored.
- Lack of activity can lead neoprene gaskets to become stiff or coated with mineral deposits, losing their ability to stop leaks.
- The dual plate check valves should be stored on the floor in a tidy, dry indoor environment.
- Protect the valve against excess heat and humidity and extreme dust, wetness, vibrations, deflections, sunshine, and ozone—temperature: under 25°C storage, above 0°C preferably below 15°C.
- After working in multiple settings for an extended period, butterfly valves such as high-performance butterfly valves require frequent repair and maintenance.
- Minor repairs, moderate repairs, and extensive repairs are the three types of general maintenance.
- You should maintain butterfly valves to avoid rusting.
WE CAN HELP YOU
Don’t be afraid if there is a problematic situation, several butterfly valve issues can be readily fixed. However, some leakage issues may need a total valve repair, so keep in mind that no two cases are alike.
We at Fevisa, one of the leading valve stockists in Dubai, have worked towards refining our valve design and production methods for our high-performance butterfly valves. Further, our Europe origin valves are designed to follow the various industrial standards and customers’ requirements.
Fevisa is ever ready to help you out in the choice of stock valves. Contact us for further assistance in selecting and maintaining the right butterfly vales for your industry.